Sunday 27 May 2018

Joyful Sewing

Seriously, is there anything that could bring more joy than sewing clothes for little wee people? I can't think of anything.


I was pretty thrilled when I came across this uncut, brand spanking new baby pattern that doesn't have the over-the-top eighties vibe of most patterns found in the second hand store shelves. As a matter-of-fact, this is actually a current Kwik Sew pattern, K3982. Once I noticed that it was uncut and everything seemed intact, it was an easy decision. And I had a new project on the list.  


The pants were the first item I wanted to make and I have to say that it's a quick make. The front and back are in one piece as there are no side seams. This makes things a lot easier to piece together. Just sew the crotch seams, then the inner leg seams and finish the hem and waistband. Easy peasy and so darn cute. You can whip a pair of pants up while the little one naps. Seriously. And even have time for a shower.

But I digress...


Next up was the little shirt. A little more time consuming than the pants but an easy make as well. 

I love that the pattern includes all sizes up to 24 months.  The projects was sewn mostly on the serger since the seam allowance that it calls for was 1/4 inch, I thought why even bother with the sewing machine. Only the hem and casing were sewn on the sewing machine. I love that this pattern gives you the length to cut for the waist elastic. I don't usually find this information on kids' patterns and for someone who doesn't have a child handy to measure, this is valuable information to include in a pattern. McCall's are you listening?

The fabrics are light-weight cotton knits that will be perfect for the upcoming hot summer days ahead. And the elastic was a light-weight fold-over lingerie elastic that was the perfect weight and softness.

The Stats:

Fabric:  1 metre

PatternKwik Sew 3982

Elastic:  18 inches

Snaps:  4 small

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, tracing paper, pencil, pins, thread clippers, scissors, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, serger, interfacing tape, measuring tape, hand needle, walking foot and threads.  

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...