Thursday 5 January 2017

Burda: 6964: Camisoles and Slips

Mama R asked me to make her a camisole quite some time ago. I feel like a bad daughter for taking so long to complete such a simple request. Thankfully, she's just happy to finally have it and hasn't given me a hard time about the long wait.  


I'm quite embarrassed that it has taken so long to complete because this project was easy-peasy easy. The pattern is Burda 6964 but I have to admit that it doesn't look anything like the pattern photo or line drawings.


I can't find the pattern listed on the Simplicity website anymore but it does appear to be available over at Pattern Review in case you're interested. I basically tweaked the pattern according to this slip which I made using the Burda pattern. I re-cut the neckline according to the slip and used bias tape for the straps.  

The fabric I found last month at Northwest Fabrics and is the same fabric that I used to make my half slip. The fabric was pretreated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer. The edges around the neckline and underarm areas were fused with Knit-N-Stable™tape before stitched with a narrow hem. The bottom hem was left as is after a run through the serger. Besides using the serger, the project was completed with the stem stitch (as known as the knit, or lightning bolt stitch). 

And I'm currently working on one more camisole and two slips for Mama R and hopefully this will make up for taking oh-so-long to complete this request. I should have them finished after my morning coffee. 

The Stats:  

Fabric:  0.5 metres

Pattern:  Burda 6964

Fusible Seam Tape:  1.25 metres

Time:  I invested 2.5 hours into the preparation of the fabric and the construction of these slips and camisole.  

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, thread, iron, ironing board, cutting table, pins,  scissors, and stretching breaks.  

Happy Sewing!  


4 comments:

  1. What fabric do you use for these slips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question. I picked it up here in the city at Northwest Fabric. They are notorious for not labeling their fabrics with fibre content. I did find it in the lingerie / shape-wear fabric section and it does feel like a high nylon content. But I'm just guessing.

      Delete
  2. I must get this pattern. Today I am wearing a RTW slip which is okay...but in pattern sizing I am a 14 shoulders and 18 hips. So you can imagine how the slip fits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can. I'm also shaped the same way, inherited from Mama R.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...