Monday 23 May 2016

Two Favourite Patterns =

Take two favourite patterns and they equal one comfortable summer dress.


This is a pattern merger between Marcy Tilton's skirt pattern, Vogue 9060, and Lynn Mizono's dress pattern, Vogue 1312. I cut the Vogue 9060 skirt pieces, minus the waistband, straight out of the envelope. Same with the bodice from Vogue 1312 and it was like these pattern pieces were made for each other. I don't know why I had some reservations about this merger.  

Vogue 1312
Vogue 9060

and...








There was no tweaking or alterations to make things fit, everything worked together with out any issues. It was like this was meant to be. And I was able to whip this dress up in an afternoon. I really like the self-lined bodice with a raised waist offered in the Vogue 1312 dress pattern. And I like how comfortable Marcy Tilton's skirt is to wear. I did have some fear that the length wouldn't be to my liking since I would be missing some of the length gained with the waistband but there was no need to worry, the length is my idea of perfect. The dress was hemmed with a rolled hem.  


The fabric is a cotton knit that has been in my stash for a long time. I have no idea when or where I purchased this fabric. It worked out to be the perfect amount for a long sleeve version but I changed my mind while I was sewing it up and went sleeveless. I'll just have to throw a cardigan over it to wear it to work. As a sleeveless dress it will be perfect for those hot summer days ahead. The fabric wasn't pre-treated, my bad. My fingers are crossed that it doesn't shrink because I really like the fit. This project was stitched using the knit stitch on my sewing machine. And I do believe that I will have to make another one.


The Stats:

Fabric:  3.2 metres of cotton knit

Thread:  Just cleaned up whatever shades of unfinished spools of blue that I had on hand. I managed to finish off one spool of thread.

Patterns:  Vogue 1312 and 9060.

Additions Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, walking foot, scissors, clippers, tweezers, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, cutting table, ten minute breaks every thirty minutes, a nap or two, box of kleenex, Tylenol, and water.

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...