Sunday 3 April 2016

Lynn Mizono Dress: Take Two

I first made this pattern up almost two years ago and it has been worn a lot even though it was made as my muslin. What can I say, sometimes I'm slow or is it that other things push their way to the front of the sewing table line? Forget the excuses, this dress has been on my wish list for quite some time.  


It is Lynn Mizono's pull-over dress, Vogue 1410, with a few changes besides shortening the hem that I did on the first version.  


This dress is described on the pattern envelope as "very loose-fitting" which should be taken as proceed with caution because the neckline sits very low and the front armhole shape is generous. Or if you like "very loose-fitting." Keep in mind though that this "very loose-fitting" dress gets pulled into a semi-fitted bodice and lovely draping.  

On my first version, I had to pull up the shoulder seams up and take it in more. Even with this I found the front to be sitting low. This time around I shortened the shoulder seam and raised the front neckline two inches. This new neckline shape created an awkward draping in the front. To fit that, I created a tuck in the centre front at the neckline by pinning out the excess. It worked out great and I like where the neckline now sits.  


The armhole and neckline is finished with bias tape left over from this project. I think it is a cleaner finish than on the first version.  


My fabric was a recent purchase from Mitchell Fabrics. There is still some left yardage left in the discounted section. And if you happen to be in the neighbourhood I would recommend this fabric for a summer frock. This woven silk fabric has a beautiful drape and it is on sale! This one has blue and rusty brown threads running through it but there is another bolt with more pink tones.   


I pre-treated this fabric with a wash on the delicate setting and a tumble in the dryer before giving it a steam press on the silk setting. And it handled all this with no issues.  


The Stats:  

Fabric:    3 metres woven silk

Elastic:   1 metre

Thread:   The dress was sewn with 100% silk thread and premium thread on the sewing machine.  

Pattern:   Vogue 1410, a Lynn Mizono design.   

Additional Tools, Supplies, etc:  Sewing machine, serger, buttonhole foot, walking foot, scissors, pins, thread clippers, cord stopper, measuring tape, cutting table, and a chai latte break.  

Happy Sewing!  


11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. (If I could spell, I wouldn't have to delete things.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just beautiful! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think it is the fabric that makes it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm happy with how the tuck / pleat worked out.

      Delete
  6. Hi, I live in the same city as you do, and I am so grateful that we still have Mitchell fabrics. I was looking at this fabric last week and it almost made it to the cash desk but I was unsure of the colour. Now I see it made up and I am going to rush back tomorrow and hopefully it is still there. Your dress is beautiful. Synthetics, no matter how many people tell me how silk like they are, can not replace the real thing. You did a fabulous job.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Patricia, there was still quite a bit on the bolt last week. Fingers crossed it's still there with enough for the project you have in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...