Saturday 2 January 2016

Jungle January Jammies

Stash-busting 2016:  Sweet Dreams Are Made of This!

{Source}

I am in need of flannel pyjamas and of all the flannel prints out there, an animal print is the only one that makes me feel grown-up. Don't grown-ups wear flannel pj's anymore? Most of the flannel found at the local fabric store have cutesy or cartoonish prints. Not the look I was going for so, I had to travel far (Northwest Fabrics) and search deep in row and rows of flannel to find this grrr-own-up print. In the end, it was worth the search for this 150 cm wide beast. A rare find indeed!


For this project, I used the nightgown pattern from McCall's 2476, circa 1999. I went for a simple nightgown with long sleeves since it is not exactly Jungle-like temperatures out here in the Canadian prairies this time of the year. Although, we are experiencing an El Niño this winter.

{Source}

But I digress...
{Source}

This pattern is easy peasy. I didn't make any changes to the pattern other than adding an inch and a quarter to the length. I should have shortened the sleeves but for now I'm okay with rolling them up until this ends up in the mending and alterations pile. Oh, and I didn't use any interfacing on the neckline facing pieces, it just seemed like an unnecessary step.

The fabric was pre-treated in the washing machine, a tumble in the dryer and a good pressing before it was cut out. This flannel fabric came out of the process feeling softer by the time it reached the cutting table.

This is a project I would most certainly recommend for a beginner. I almost feel guilty sewing up such a simple Jungle January garment after Ann posted all these lovely inspirational photos on her blog. Almost. I'm too cozy to let it bother me too much. I'm just going to lounge here and check out everyone else's Jungle January makes while I stroke this soft cotton flannel.



The Stats:

Fabric:     2 metres $13.54 ($5.99 / metre + taxes)

Thread:  I've averaged out $4.00 to cover the cost of thread for the serger and sewing machine.

Pattern:  McCall's 2476 $8.78 ($12.95 - 40% off + taxes)

Additional Supplies and Tools:  Sewing machine, serger, washing machine, dryer, scissors, pins, three hours of my free time, and an iron.

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...