Wednesday 14 October 2015

Merrily Mending Away: Hems

It is all about the fit, isn't it?

I have an issue with shirt lengths. I find on the ready-to-wear tops in my wardrobe, the hems are too long and even though the top fits every where else I tend to look frumpy in a top that is too long on me. Even when I sew a top for myself, I find that I have to adjust or cut the hem length. Sew, it shouldn't be any surprise that I would have to adjust the length on RTW tops as well.


This is a bias cut Anne Klein top that has been in my wardrobe for far too long (years!) before I cut off some length. It first ended up on the mending / alteration rotation when I took in the shoulder seam because it sat a little low in the neckline. Yet it was years later that I finally fixed the hem length. My bad. What can I say besides I really don't like mending and alterations. I've only merrily mended it because I love this peacock feather print.


This is another RTW top that had an ill-fitting hem for my petite sized height. It had a shirt-tail hemline that made it awkward to wear.


So, I removed the hem, pressed and then chopped off the shirt tails from the front and back.


I'm much happier with the final outcome. I'm able to wear it under a jacket without having tails hanging from underneath.

To be completely honest, I don't know why it took me so long to do this simple task. Oh yeah, I don't like mending. Funny how after all that procrastination and putting things off how good it feels to finally get the chore done. And I have two tops back in rotation as well!

Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't like mending. Even though I sew, mending seems a pain to do but once I get it done, it's easy & done........
    Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do some mending. And like you, I am very picky about where tops end. I hate that in-between top and tunic length.

    So nice to have two 'new' tops! :)

    ReplyDelete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...