Friday 18 July 2014

Vogue 1263: Marking and Pockets.

Vogue 1263 has to be one of my favourite patterns in my collection. I made this jacket in a boiled wool a couple of years ago. And I've dreamed about making an off-white version ever since I laid my eyes on this fabric. I had to wait quite some time for it to go on sale.


I do remember that I had some issues with the pockets when I made the first jacket. They look fine from the outside, you can't notice any issues unless you look very closely at the inside of the jacket.


Yea, it is not pretty. In my defence, I believe I was on tylenol 3 at the time. But I digress...

On the first jacket I cut the pocket interfacing out of muslin. This time I cut the pocket interfacing out of fusible interfacing. Fusible interfacing is what is recommended in the pattern instructions. The fusible interfacing worked beautifully. I don't know why I didn't go with it the first time.

I noticed over at Pattern Review that most people left the pockets off but I love the pockets. Those who did the pockets, myself included on the first one, mentioned that they also strayed from the pattern instructions. Here is my take on the pockets, follow the instructions.

Take the time to transfer all the markings carefully. It will pay off in the end. I found it easier to keep everything aligned by basting in place after I matched up the markings.


You'll need to match up the markings with right sides together. Stitch the pocket facing to the jacket front/back along the stitching lines, cut and clip.


Flip the facing to the wrong side, top-stitch and turn over again.


Now you can pin the pocket to the pocket facing, stitch a 3/8" seam allowance, trim...


... flip and press.


Stitch again, finishing off with a french seam.


Now, these pockets are pretty, if I do say so myself. I think it is worth the work and recommend that if you want to sew up Vogue 1263, don't skip the pockets. They really are a lovely feature of this jacket.

Happy Sewing!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...