Monday 28 October 2013

Leather Trimmed Denim Skirt

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #36


Fabric Used:     1 metre of dark denim

Pattern Used:   Burda Style 7025

Trim Used:       3 metres of leather trim

Zipper Used:    8" invisible zipper

*****

I have a body shape that is not meant for Burda patterns. It doesn't keep me from picking a Burda pattern up hoping that it will prove me wrong. This was not one of those patterns.  

I cut the skirt out in a size 16, the largest size in the pattern but I also made a mistake when cutting. Instead of placing the centre front on the fold I snipped away not realizing the errors of my way until it came to sit down and sew it.  

Despite my challenging body shape and absent minded cutting I managed to  pull off a wearable skirt that I like. It doesn't look anything like the pattern but I'm good with that.  

The fabric has been in my stash for at least a decade and the leather trim longer than that coming all the way from Toronto when I actually lived there. I think the trim can actually be considered vintage at this point.  

To make the pattern work I left off the back darts and the front pleat and took in the sides to give it some shape. The hip area I had to gradually narrow the side seam allowance so that the skirt wouldn't feel so snug in a bad way. The front and back seam allowances where sewn with a 5/8" seam allowance.

The trim I used on the centre front seam and both side seams and finished off the hem. I love how it looks.  

There is no waistband on this skirt. The pattern calls for a narrow facing and it is suppose to be a lined skirt. I opted out of lining the skirt and felt that it worked by folding and top stitching along the raised waist.  

The invisible zipper, next to the leather trim is my favourite part of this skirt. I tell ya, if it weren't for basting tape that invisible zipper wouldn't look this good.

Sew there you have it, it all worked out in the end. And I love my new denim skirt.

Have you ever made something from a pattern that didn't quite work out as planned? Did you like it?

Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...