Tuesday 23 July 2013

The "Classic" Peplum: Vogue 8815

Stash Busting 2013:  Project # 27


Fabric Used:                1.2 metres stretch cotton sateen

Pattern Used:              Vogue 8815, circa 2012

Basting Tape Used:   44"

Zipper Used:                22" invisible zipper

Thread Used:               finished off another spool of thread

*****

Okay, I'm not lovin' this top. But I don't hate it either. Let's just chalk it up to experiment gone wierd. Wrong style for the wrong body type, I guess. And do those darts look oddly off?  


Rachel Roy Mix Media Peplum Top
{Source}
I've seen some cute peplum style tops in the store. Actually one, by Rachel Roy, and I thought I would give the peplum a try. Yeah, I'm not lovin' it like the Rachel Roy version.  

Rachel Roy's striped top has a shorter peplum that is gathered into the raised waist. It is made in a double knit with a open laced back. It is cute.  

My Vogue 8815 version is not cute. I guess I could get away with it as work clothing. With the high neckline and long sleeves, it is conservative enough for work. Yup, I'm calling this one boring.  

The fabric has been in my stash for quite some time. I was holding onto it with plans to mix it with another piece of cotton sateen in a dress but there was enough for this top and that was that.  

The pattern was easy to sew, six darts. I probably would like it if it didn't have darts as they don't really sit all that well. I did make a few changes:  
  • The plan was to make view B with the short sleeves, I found that by shortening the length on the sleeve to fit me I could actually make a long sleeve version.  
  • I used an invisible zipper instead of a regular zipper.
  • I trimmed an inch off the hemline and may have trimmed more if the zipper end was not in the way.  
I kind of feel like Judy Jetson in this peplum top. Cartoon character was not the look I was going for but there is a good side to this top. If I spill coffee it would blend in with the print.  

Happy Sewing!  






4 comments:

  1. I made this top in the same style as yours, and I didn't like it on me at all. So much so that I refused to photograph it and gave it away. I found that the darts went much too far up the front, and the whole thing felt very big and boxy.

    The print on yours is very interesting (and I am always on the look-out for spill proof clothes!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spill proof clothes and Tide sticks, I don't know how I ever lived without them! Yeah, the darts are weird on mine too.

      Delete
  2. I feel very frumpagy in my 8815- I had to jazz it up with a buckle and such to feel less 'eh' in it. I do like your fabric choice and we do all need basics (did I just say that?) so the hunt for the perfect peplum pattern continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did say "basics," oh my! I noticed that the new Vogue patterns for fall includes another peplum pattern. But the peplum on the pattern seems long and I shortened the peplum on this one. I do have another peplum top to try, Simplicity 1590. It is a 1940s retro release. No sleeves though :( but it still looks cute. (Fingers crossed.)

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...