Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Spiral Top

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #15

Fabric Used:      2 metres of Silk

Pattern Used:    CB Spiral Top (Center of Pattern Design).  

Buttons Used:   4 snaps

*****

Can you believe that this top was made from one pattern piece? Okay two pattern pieces but the collar was borrowed from another pattern. But seriously, there are no shoulder or side seams. The centre back can be cut with a seam or laid out on the fold. The pattern piece, which has the sleeve worked into it, is cut on the bias. This pattern is brilliant!

I found this pattern over at the Center for Pattern Design and it is inspired by the Spanish designer Cristobal Balenciaga.

Did I mention that this pattern is brilliant? The pattern suggests an intermediate or advanced skills sewing level but I would have to say pick this pattern up even if you are a beginner because this is something that you will want to keep in your collection.

My version of this blouse is made in a wine coloured silk. I was saving it for the Issey Miyake (Vogue 1309) but after reading a few critiques over on Pattern Review I thought I should save it for something else. Boy, am I ever glad I saved it for this blouse!

The pattern does not come with any extras but it does give you some options for a collar. They recommend "a simple bias rectangle twice the length of the distance between the facing fold line and the CB and twice the desired width, plus seams." I instead opted for the lovely collar pattern piece from Mama R's recent dress.

For buttons I was thinking about some glass vintage ones but decided on snaps. I thought it would be easier on the silk fabric. I can't wait to make another one! I think I might want to lengthen it a wee bit in the front.

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. hello Graca , I really like this top , I have been looking at it too but i am wondering how easy it would be to make longer as i ma very loong in the body and also have to do full bust adjustments quite often. i really love the fabric you have used as the bias grain shows up really well and the result is very elegant . well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mem,

      I think it would be easy to make it longer because the hemline is identified on the pattern piece. And there are two lined positions to make adjustments to the pattern. I'm on my way to work, but I'll write another post tonight about the pattern. Have you seen the Spiral Top over at Communing With Fabric? http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.ca/2013/03/cb-spiral-top.html
      It is one of two versions that she has made using the Spiral Top pattern and she had successfully altered it to fit her own shape. My experience with it was that it is a fun pattern to work with, I would highly recommend picking it up. I hope you have the some experience with the pattern.

      Delete

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...