Monday 22 April 2013

Mock French Seams

Well, Vogue 1274 is coming along nicely. I'm a little further along than in the photo. The collar and facings are in place. And the sleeves are pieced together.

I'm just puzzled at #21 of the instructions, "[s]titch sleeve to armhole edge in a French seam." It sounds simple enough except when I pin the sleeve to the shirt it is not working out as simply stated in the instructions.

The pieces fit to perfectly between the notches at the under sleeve portion. It is where the curve over the shoulder is found that is proving to be a challenge.

Sew, mock French seams it will be. I could serge the edges after I ease and stitch the sleeve in place. But I really would like to continue with the French seam or in this case a mock French seam.

I've been surfin' the web and checking out my go-to reference sewing books and I noticed something interesting. Have you noticed that all the references to mock French seams list this finish as a good alternative to French seams on a curved edge but all illustrations and photographs on how to do a mock French seam is done on a straight edged sample? If there is a sample of a mock French seam done on a  actual curved edge, I didn't come across it. I got a chuckle from that little fun fact.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Until tomorrow, Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But why is it necessary to make a french seam on the armhole anyway? As far as I've learned, french seams are not to be used on curves. I actually broke that rule once and used it on a chanel-form wool jacket, but the wool was woven and really really stretchy, so that was no problem. And the only reason I used it is because I wanted my jacket to be wearable on both sides. But your fabric doesn't look stretchy, or?

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...