Monday 8 October 2012

In Sewing News Today...

I thought this day would never come, but it did! 

Yup, I'm talking about the day that the bolts of silk noir sitting in the clearance section of my local fabric store were reduced further.

I had been waiting a long time for this day. I snatched up three bolts of orange, indigo and a light blue. I decided on the orange and indigo bolts of fabric. 

These treasured cuts of fabric are stashed away until spring. I have plans to make a spring dress with the indigo silk. The orange silk I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but how could I resist.

Frank Sinatra said it best, "orange is the happiest colo[u]r."  

I've been easing back into sewing slowly.  I won't say that my sewing mojo is completely back. I've been sneaking a wee bit of sewing in here and there.

Remember this? It is almost a year that I started cutting out squares from some of my fabric scraps.

It is crazy how long I've held onto some of these pieces. The pink plaid was from when my niece was about two years old when I made her a dress. Crazy! That is sixteen years ago! The tractor print was when my nephew was a year old and I made him overalls. There are a lot of memories stitched together.

But I digress... I have managed to sew 196 squares together. I can file this one under I never thought this day would come too.

It might not seem like a lot, but for a non-quilter I'm quite happy with this. And it has been a good on-going project for those days when I want to get some sewing done but just not in the mood to work on a big project detailed project.  

Talking about detailed projects. I'm working on the vintage shirtdress, Advance 8436. The pattern arrived over a week ago.

I know that I mentioned I wanted to make it in a blue plaid but I'm trying it out in this fabric before I cut it in the plaid. It is a paisley Rosedale Sateen that I found in the home decor department.

I love the details in this dress especially the double darted bodice. This is the first time that I have come across a pattern that has two darts for the bust. There are also tucks at the waistline in the front and back bodice and gathers at the back yoke and bodice. My fingers are crossed that it turns out well.

This is about as far as I've managed to get on this pattern. It is not that I'm not excited about sewing it. I'm just taking things slow until I'm feeling more myself. Until then, a few stitches at a time.

That's all in sewing news today.  How about you, what's on your sewing table?

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. OH WOW!!! Your quilt is looking AMAZING. You definitely give hope to this also non-quilter who dreams of making a quilt! I love that you were able to get all of those delicious bolts of silk noir, and since orange is my favorite color in the whole world, I'm especially interested to see what you decided to make with it - something wonderful, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is not a perfect quilt but I love the sense of nostalgia that I have working with these scraps of fabric. I love the orange silk too. I not sure what to make with it, but I also have yellow silk noir that I bought a while back. I was thinking maybe mixing the two. Any suggestions?

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...