Wednesday 20 June 2012

Shirt Dress Sew-along: Muslin Making.

I'm cutting out the pattern pieces that I will need for the Shirt Dress Sew-along. June 19 was muslin making day.

Sunni wrote a sensitive blog post that caters to to the muslin-making and non-muslin-making people. Sunni suggests
[i]f you are going to make a muslin, consider only making up the bodice because let’s be honest, the skirt section on Simplicity 1880 is most likely, 9 times out of 10, going to fit you. I say that because the skirt is a flared 1/2 to 3/4 looking circle skirt and those fit nearly everyone bearing in mind that you’ve picked the right size for your waist and hip and double checked that with the finished waist measurement that is found on the pattern piece itself, which is pattern piece #15 btw.
Sunni's observations had me thinking about my experience with Simplicity patterns. I haven't sewn a lot of garments for myself using Simplicity patterns even though I think they have great patterns. My Simplicity patterns wardrobe items are loungewear which are not fitted garments. That said, I agree with what Sunni recommends. My niece's dress using Simplicity 2398, it was the bodice pieces that I was keen on checking the fit with a muslin.

Simplicity 3673 bodice
But I'm that one out of ten that needs to be concern with the skirt fit. Do you recall my red mess dress, Simplicity 3673? It was ugly. I didn't make a muslin and cut my fabric I ruining it. The bodice was a great fit, the skirt was my epic issue.

Sew back to Simplicity 1880, according to the pattern measurements I am a size 14 in the bust, a size 20 in the waist and a size 16 in the hips.



Did you notice anything odd with the first photo of the skirt pattern piece? No? Take a closer look.

I picked up a combination size pattern that includes sizes 12, 14, 16, 18, 20. When I went to check the ease of the pattern I found that Simplicity gave the ease measurements for sizes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 only.

Really, Simplicity patterns. Are you messing with me or is this your way to tell me I really should make a muslin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...