Saturday 2 December 2017

Make Something Week: Up-cycled Bags!

I am a maker.
A maker is someone who transforms things she already owns into something new by sharing, up-cycling swapping, repairing, and creating.  Make something celebrates creative, resourceful and social people that enjoy the experience of making something new out of their old things for the people we love.  
And I'm participating in Make Something Week (December 2 to 10th) hosted by Greenpeace and Fashion Revolution. So here goes my first entry, up-cycled bags.

Prior to the transformation:


My parents saved these flour bags from way back-in-the-day when groceries were packed in boxes or paper bags and people recycled glass pop bottles for a refund. You know, back before there was an environment levy applied to beverage purchases. We used to get money back when we brought our empty bottles back to the store to be recycled. But I digress... 

Back in the good old days they made things to last, including flour bags. I've made these vintage flour bags into grocery / farmer market bags to replace some of those "reusable" shamelessly self-promoting grocery store named bags which didn't last very long.


However, I was able to recycle the handles from the ripped store-bought bag and use it on the new one.  


The fabric is a canvas weight cotton and these will be fabulous because they're washable.


The blue straps were picked out of my notion drawer left over from some back-pack sewing projects.


I'm ready to go shopping! Now, what to pick up for dinner?

Happy Sewing!  

Update:  These are a hit with my friends and the Trinidad one has already found a new home. Who knew these could make good Christmas gifts as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...