It might seem that I'm stuck on Vogue 9057 this month but seriously, it is an amazing pattern. Even Mama R became smitten with the fit (not the colour) of this one. It's rare to find something that fits us in the armhole straight from the pattern without cutting the armhole in a smaller size. So, with Mother's Day just around the corner, I had to make her a couple of tops. Here is the first one. Like I mentioned she tried on the yellow one I made and liked the fit the best but she wanted additional length on the sleeves.
I lengthened the sleeve pattern piece an inch but if I haven't already cut the second one I would have lengthened it two inches so that I could give it a 1" hem. This one has a 5/8" hem. Otherwise, this has the same changes that I made to my last one, raise the neckline an inch in the front and tapered down to three-quarters of an inch at the centre back. No neckband or sleeve bands were used. The hem was straightened, shortened, and flared at the side seams by two inches.
Now let's talk about this fabric. I picked this cotton knit at Fabricland with thoughts of sewing a completely different project but I'm glad I abandoned those plans for this one. Burgundy is one of Mama R's favourite colours and what makes Mama R happy makes me happy, so I'm happy to use this piece of fabric for her top.
This project came together like a dream without any issues sewing this fabric. I stitched the seams with the knit (lightning bolt) stitch on my sewing machine. The edges were finished with an overlock stitch on the serger. The neckline, hems, and shoulder seams were treated with fusible tape.
Fabric: 2 metres
Fusible Tape: 3 metres Knit-N-Stitch™
Pattern: Vogue 9057
Additional Tools & Supplies: Cutting table, pins, tailor's chalk, rulers, measuring tape, sewing machine, serger, threads for the machines, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, tailor's sleeve ham, coffee, stretching breaks and some really bad television playing in the background (iPod needs to be charged).