Tuesday 3 January 2017

Vogue 1410: Waist Slip

I need a waist slip or half slip, if you like, to wear under a couple of my favourite versions of Vogue 1410.


Both the wool crepe and silk versions could benefit from a slip since they can be a wee bit see-through if your standing in the light. So, this waist slip is made specifically for these dresses. 


I pulled out my copy of the Lynn Mizono dress pattern and used it as my template for the waist slip. I folded the top portion of the front pattern piece and cut two pieces. Since the front and back below the waist are the exact same shape and size, I only used the front pattern piece. After I cut it out I trimmed at the waist so that it wouldn't be as full as the dress. And the length was shortened  by two inches.   


It seriously was a quick make. Re-threading the serger took more time than sewing this project. I only used a couple of stitches to complete this item. Most of the sewing was done with the stem stitch (also known as the lightening bolt, stretch and knit stitch) on my sewing machine. The stem stitch is a very narrow zigzag and is designed for sewing knits. The seam edges were finished with an overlock stitch on my serger. There was no hand-stitching one this project.   

I found the fabric at Northwest Fabrics last month. It was pre-treated with a tumble through the washing machine on the delicate setting and then the dryer with some fabric softener. I'm pretty happy with how it feels under the dresses. I didn't want a full length slip because I typically wear a t-shirt or top under my dresses, so this one is perfect for the job. 


The Stats:  

Fabric:  1.8 metres

Elastic:  0.8 metres 1/2" elastic

Pattern:  Vogue 1410

Time:  I invested two hours into the construction of this slip

Additional Supplies & Tools:  Sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads, pins, scissors, thread clippers, and a chai latte break. 

Happy Sewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...