Saturday 7 January 2017

McCall's 7541: Undecided

Update:  There has been a retraction of my initial opinion of this pattern. You can find it here.

McCall's 7541 is one of the spring release patterns that caught my eye a few weeks ago. What's not to love about a cape-style top. That was my thinking when I picked up the pattern.  


Now, I'm undecided, it is not my idea of a comfortable top. The main reason is the neckline, it's too low and wide. Maybe I can pull it off with a sleeveless turtleneck dress? Other than the neckline, I like it. It is just that neckline. If I make another one, I will change the shape for sure.  

This loose-fitting top is an easy project and a quick make. I used a polyester knit that I picked up a year or two ago. It was pre-treated with a tumble through a washing machine cycle and then the dryer. The entire project was sewn with the stem stitch (also know as the lightning bolt or knit stitch). I used Knit-'N-Stitch tape for the hemline of the top. The overlay piece has a rolled hem.  


The armhole for the top is supposed to be finished with single fold bias tape but I just serged and left it since it is unseen when worn. 

Well, I'm going to have to see what I have in my closet that I can wear this with... 


The Stats:

Fabric:  2.6 metres

Fusible tape:  1.5 metres

Pattern:  McCall's 7541

Time:  I invested 6.25 hours into the preparation of the fabric and the construction of this item.

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, walking foot, tweezers, cutting table, scissors, pins, thread clippers, water and stretching breaks.   

Happy Sewing!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...