Saturday 5 November 2016

What's Cozier Than a Sweater?

A robe made out of a stable sweater knit. I think I love this one more than the terry robe this is replacing.  


I picked up this yellow knit fabric at Northwest Fabrics last year for a song. And besides the deal I got on this cloth, the best part is the quality of this fabric. You can't find knits like this anymore. This fabric was part of a shipment from a business that went out of a business. They were selling a beautiful collection of fabrics for $3.99 / metre (a song!), or 99₵ / metre for the whole bolt. I thought it would be crazy to not take advantage of such an offer, so the whole bolt came home with me. It is a medium weight stable cotton knit. According to Mama R (she has a cardigan made in this fabric), it wears incredibly well and it is warm.  


I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I revisited the pattern that I used for my previous robe, Simplicity 7417 and chose the same style. Even though I never wear the hood up, there is something about a hooded robe that I like.  


The robe is stitched with the knit stitch including the top-stitching.  I left off the pockets even though I did cut them out. I might go back and sew them on but for now, I'm okay without pockets. I didn't make any pattern alterations at all and that left me with a floor length robe. It feels like I'm wearing a big blanket.  


The Stats:

Fabric:     6 metres 

Pattern:    Simplicity 7417 

Needles:  1 new serger needle

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, walking foot, 4 spools of yellow thread for the sewing machine and serger, scissors, thread clippers, screw driver, tweezers, pins, cutting table, wrist brace, coffee, and some good tunes.  

Happy Sewing!  




2 comments:

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...