Sunday 27 March 2016

Can a Woman Have Enough Wrap Dresses?

Stash-busting 2016: Vintage Vogue 7014

Last year McCall's hosted a wrap dress sew-along and I was thrilled at the prospect of sewing another wrap dress.  But I didn't get my act together because I was trying to figure out how to change the current wrap dress patterns into my dream wrap dress.  

















I love the simplicity of the bodice on this vintage DVF dress pattern. The patterns in my stash (Vogue 8896 and 8379) have gathers or pleating that I really didn't want as part of the next wrap dress design. And even though vintage Vogue 1548 is easily found all over the web, it is not a pattern that fits within my sewing budget. So enters vintage Vogue 7014, a Koko Beall design, circa 1999.  



I found this pattern over at Etsy.com a few months ago and love that it has long sleeves, pockets, no waistline seam and it did not cost an arm and a leg. It is also rated "very easy," what's not to love. Good-bye Diane, hello Koko! I just found another pattern to swoon over.
This dress is literally a quick make and a well drafted pattern. It will certainly be cherished and filed away as a tried and true (TNT) pattern. I do plan to make another wrap dress with this pattern. I took advantage of the multi-sized and petite option this pattern offers. I cut the shoulder at a size 12, the rest of the dress as a size 14, shortened the sleeves and let out a little ease at the centre back waist area curve. I did originally cut the dress as version B hemline but chose to shorten it to the version A length after I tried it on. I wouldn't mind if it were a couple of inches longer but I'm not going to worry about it on this dress.



My fabric, found at Fabricland, is a 100% polyester animal print knit. It is a light-weight knit that appeared with the spring fabric selection earlier this year. It will be perfect for when the weather warms up even though I made it with long sleeves. The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer and it handled the synthetic heat setting on the iron quite well.


The Stats:

Fabric:       3 metres 100% polyester knit

Twill tape:   0.40 metres cotton twill

Interfacing:   1.6 metres fusible interfacing

Pattern:       OOP Vogue 7014

Thread:     I used quite a bit of thread with this project. I finished off a spool of serger thread and one spool of thread on the sewing machine. All those double stitched seams.

Needles:     90/14 Stretch sewing machine needle and hand sewing needle.

Additional Supplies and Tools:  Sewing machine, serger, walking foot, scissors, thread clippers, cutting table, pins, measuring tape, seam ripper, coffee, and good tunes.

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...