Tuesday 8 December 2015

The Velvet Touch

Stash-busting 2015:  Pullover Dress

Oh my goodness, I could stroke this stretch velvet fabric ALL. DAY. LONG. I will admit, as a prairie gal, I feel overdressed in this dress but I still like it. Thank goodness, I can dress it down with that red plaid jacket, another fabric that I can easily stroke ALL. DAY. LONG.



The Pattern:


I finally decided on a TNT pattern, OOP Vogue 8939. This is the third version that I have made. I still haven't found the collar pattern piece and re-used the collar from Burda pattern that I used on the last version. This time I added more width to the pattern piece and it is loose with some drape, so it doesn't look like the turtleneck from the other two versions.  

This pattern is an quick and easy make. The only changes I made (besides the collar) include shortening the length on the sleeves and adding seven inches to the length. I hemmed the dress with an inch and a half hem.  


The Fabric:

This fabric found its way into my stash when it went on sale while Fanny Fabrics was closing down in the city. I picked up this fabric for a song which probably explains why there is so much of it in my stash.  

Stretch velvet requires special care when sewing but with the right tools I found it is easy to handle.  
  • I used a ball point sewing machine needle.  
  • I choose a lightening bolt stitch (knit stitch) on my sewing machine. If you don't have one on your machine you can sew with a small zig-zag stitch. 
  • I used a polyester thread.  
  • And the most important trick to sewing this fabric is to have a walking foot. It has a set of upper feed dogs the help feed the fabric through the presser foot without any sliding. It worked like a dream even when I was stitching three layers of fabric stitching the collar in place. 
I should mention that I had to pay special attention when cutting out this pattern. Since the fabric has a nap, I had to take care with the placement of the pattern pieces. Nap refers to a fabric that has a pile, such as velvet, and causes the fabric to appear as if it were different shades from different angles. You can even feel the nap if you run your hand across the fabric from different angles. 

This fabric had been previously pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer on the delicate setting. I did not need to steam the fabric prior of during the sewing process. The finished seams laid flat without any issues.  


The Stats:

Fabric:         2 metres

Twill Tape:  0.3 metres

Needle:        1 ball point needle  

Pattern:        OOP Vogue 8939 

Thread:        Used the premier thread on the serger.  

Additional Tools:  Sewing machine, serger, scissors, pins, hand sewing needle, and walking foot.  


Happy Sewing!  




5 comments:

  1. Last year I pulled out my stretch velvet that had been hanging around forever it seemed. I made a lovely skirt and like you could stroke the fabric all day long.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, it's gorgeous Graca! Looks so luxe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo it looks great! Despite voting for the other dress pattern, I was honestly SO CLOSE to voting for this turtleneck dress pattern. The pockets on the other was what won me over. Seeing this though, I think you made the right call. It looks so cozy and warm, but so classy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was close to choosing the other dress for the pockets. I'm happy with this one though.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...