Saturday, 28 November 2015

A Little Selfish Sewing...

Stash-busting 2015:  Vogue 8939

Sometimes you just want to do a little selfish sewing, use an easy-peasy TNT pattern, and whip together a quick make.



The Pattern:

I can not believe that this pattern is already out-of-print. It came out in 2013 but the dress is a classic piece. This is the second one that I have made up using this pattern. It has an average rating, but the dress is super easy to pull together. I actually spent more time looking for the pattern piece for the collar than I did sewing up the dress.  

Yes, my copy of this pattern is missing the collar. I have no idea where it has gone. I hope one day this pattern piece and I will cross paths again. Until then, I borrowed the turtleneck pattern from Burda 6990 to help me out.

The only other changes to the pattern were shortening the sleeves and lengthening the hem. I started off by adding ten inches to the length and then cut off five inches. I wish I added six inches allowing for a one inch hem. This one has the narrowest hem allowance I thought I could get away with, even though it is not my ideal length. I will admit to being happy that it does sit below the knee.


The Fabric:


I found this piece of fabric at Fabricland and picked it up because I was all smitten over the colour. It is a heavier knit and will be great during the winter. It feels like a scuba knit but I can't remember if it was labelled as such. When I spotted this I thought I would make up another Marcy Tilton skirt with this fabric but then I would have to make a top to go with it, so I changed my mind.


I didn't want to top-stitch my hems even though I had a twin needle waiting in the wings. Instead, I finished off the hems with the blind hem foot.  

The Stats:

Fabric:     2 metres polyester knit $24.86 ($22.00 - 50% off + taxes)

Thread:    I've averaged out $3.00 to cover sewing machine, basting, and serger thread used.

Pattern:    Vogue 8939, already priced out in a previous version.    

Additional Tools:  Sewing Machine, serger, cutting table, pins, walking foot, blind-hem foot, and hand sewing needle.  



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! (me too, I think I'll get a lot of wear out of this one.)

      Delete
  2. Yeah! selfish sewing! So nice to see you modelling your make. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally found a wireless remote for the camera so hopefully, I'll try to take more pictures with the makes on instead of on the mannequin.

      Delete
  3. Is there a black hole that pattern pieces disappear into, only to appear after the garment has been made? Must be. Glad you made a save without it.

    Lovely colour, and a perfect dress for a Canuck winter. Nice to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes, I do believe there is a black hole or maybe I need to tidy-up the workspace.

      Delete
  4. The dress looks really good. Nice and comfortable and the colour will brighten up a Canadian Prairie winter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, it is comfortable. I actually wouldn't mind making up one more.

      Delete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...