I made a top to match my Marcy Tilton skirt. Actually, it is my wearable muslin. I made this top [with fingers crossed] hoping that it would fit and work out as a match for the skirt. And it did. This pattern is the cat's pajamas!
I cut this top as a size 14 and I found that it has a generous amount of ease (not a complaint). I could easily feel comfort- able in a size 12. I really like the bust dart from the centre front seam. And the sleeves are unique and I quite like them.
I did lengthen the top two inches after reading reviews from my sewing sisters. And then I ended up sewing a 1 3/8" blind hem instead of the 5/8" rolled hem called for on the pattern. I do like it with the longer length. I didn't roll the neckline facing to the inside and them top-stitch as called for in the pattern instructions since my layers of fabric were quite thick at this point. Instead I left the neck binding exposed and topstitched the seam allowance to the top securing it in place. I like how it looks and think I will do this on future versions. This well-drafted pattern came together quickly.
This fabric has been in my stash for about 2 1/2 years. I'm not a huge fan of ponte knit but I was quite smitten over this shade of blue. The fabric washes and wears well and even holds up well with the iron on the synthetic setting. I'm sure I'll get a lot a wear out of this outfit. This top will also mix-and-match with other items in my wardrobe which will be nice.
I sewed this using my walking foot and using the lightning bolt knit stitch on my Janome sewing machine. The walking foot prevented any shifting of the knit that could have occurred if I used my regular presser foot. I couldn't imagine sewing knits without it.
Fabric: 1.4 metres Ponte Knit $11.07 ($14.00/metre - 50% off + taxes)
Thread: 1 spool finished off. I couldn't tell you how much I paid for the spool, it has been in my stash that long.
Pattern: Butterick 6182 $11.27 ($19.95 - 50% + taxes)