Sunday 7 June 2015

McCall's 7122

Stash-busting 2015:  Maxi-Length Dress


Fabric:    3.10 metres polyester knit fabric  (to be completely honest I couldn't tell you how much I paid for this fabric)


Pattern:   McCall's 7122 $5.65 ($5.00 pattern sale + taxes)

Okay, let me start by saying I really like this dress. Seriously, I whipped this one up in an afternoon.  

The fabric has been in my stash for many, many moons. I actually put this fabric in the donate pile a long time ago. Mama R rescued it when she realized what I was up to.  She held onto to it for many years and it recently made it back to my stash.  

I thought that I would use it as a muslin test fabric but to tell you the truth I'm kind-of-all-smitten over the retro print. Who would have thought?  

The fabric reminds me of polyester fabric from by-gone days. By the way it feels you would think that I found it in the authentically retro basement section of Mitchell Fabrics. But I do remember picking this up at a bargain price when Fanny Fabrics was shutting down.

The learn to sew for fun pattern, McCall's 7122, is an easy and quick make. This is really a great pattern for beginners. It is well-drafted and the pieces fit together perfectly.  

Now, I will admit that I did make a few changes.  I cut this out in a medium and kept it close-fitting at the bust but just below the bust towards the hem I added some width to the dress to allow for more ease around the mid-section and hip area. I did this by adding a total of three inches of additional ease. And there is no side slit on this version. I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  

Happy Sewing!  








3 comments:

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...