Fabric: 2.3 metres (2 1/2 yards) of various cotton fabrics $13.78 ($5.99 on sale + taxes)
Buttons: 4 buttons (recycled)
Ribbon: 2.3 metres (2 1/2 yards) of ribbon $1.17 (0.45 + taxes)
Pattern: Vogue 1455 $10.76 ($5.99 online sale + shipping costs + taxes + exchange rate)
This itty-bitty reversible dress is the cutest thing I've made in the longest time. I'm making up three as teacher gifts this year with the understanding that I get to blog about it. Here goes...
The first dress out of the three I'll be making is a size two. I used four different fabrics from my stash. This is a great pattern for using up those small pieces left over from other projects. Some of the fabric pieces that I pulled to mix-and-match are fabrics used from when my niece was a wee-little gal (who is now in university). The bird print has been in my stash for quite some time, it is a lighter weight cotton that I mixed with a purple and white floral print. The contrasting purple and white cotton print was a length taken off a dress that Mama R was holding onto for some reason. It worked perfectly for this occasion. The blue and pink ribbon shown on this side has been in my stash for decades I'm sure. Quite possibly as long as that purple and white floral print has been in Mama R's stash.
The pattern is Vogue 1455, a mini Lynn Mizono design. And the pattern pieces mimic the pattern piece from Vogue 1410. Except this little girl's dress is reversible and the dress front and back pieces are cut in two to create the contrasting band pieces. Hidden buttons on the side seam create the bubble hem.
This mini-me version didn't call for French seams. Instead, it asks for the seams to be double stitched which I feel is unnecessary but I did it anyway. All my seams edges are finished with an overlock stitch.
Here's the reverse side. This fabric is a heavier weight than the other cottons I used on the dress. It is the only piece of quilting fabric that makes up this dress. I mixed this orange, pink and grey X's and O's print with a pink and white polka-dot print. And I used a wider width of white ribbon for this side. The dress also requires four buttons to create the bubble hem and since those are hidden I was able to recycle two different pairs of buttons from my stash.
This pattern is a complete joy to sew just on the cuteness factor alone. If you're looking for a little gal pattern to make, I think you should give this one a try.