Sunday 10 May 2015

Butterick 6056

Stash busing 2015:  Front Buttoned Snapped Top

Fabric:             2 metres of silk noir @ $22.37 ($9.90/metre @ 70% off + taxes)

Interfacing:    1 metre of fusible interfacing @ $4.57 ($4.00/metre + taxes)

Pattern:            Butterick 6056 @ $10.14 ($17.95 - 50% off + taxes)

Buttons:           four buttons snaps from my stash 67¢ ($1.19 - 50% off + taxes)

Sewn on:         Janome 4120 QDCI used the blind hem foot for the sleeve hem finish.  

Seam finish:    Serged on Janome MyLock 234D.  

Where to begin?

Let's start with the pattern, Butterick 6056 is a recent addition to my pattern stash. I picked it up in hope of copying a sweater that I have and wear quite often. I decided to muslin the pattern with a small piece of silk that has been sitting around in my stash for an awful long time.  


I'm thrilled with how it finally turned out but there were issues along the way.

First, I do like the trapeze style, not so much a fan of the super low neckline. The first thing I did was raise the neckline by four and a quarter inches. Yeah, 4 1/4" and that wasn't a typo. Then I lengthen the hemline on view C by two inches.

I cut a size medium but I think I could have easily gone with a size x-small with how wide it sits on the shoulders and across the back. The armhole seam drooped over my shoulder so I had to go back and take it in around the cap. I also took in the centre back another five-eighths of an inch. These changes helped with fixing the sad and droopy shoulders/armhole seams.

And then there were the sleeves. I shortened them significantly so that I would end up with a three-quarter length sleeve and left off the tabs. I will note that this pattern has very wide armholes. If you plan on making this as a sleeveless top or tunic be prepared to wear a t-shirt or camisole underneath.


After all the tweaking, I'm happy with how it has turned out. At this stage I'm trying to decide on buttons or snaps.


Since I decided to omit the topstitching and went with an invisible hem on the sleeves I thought that I would continue along that line and go with the fabric covered snaps. I covered the snaps using the same fabric as the top.

The fabric has been in my stash for quite some time--a long time. It has been pre-washed and waiting to be made into something for quite some time but whenever I decided on a project I would find that I was just short on the fabric. It is nice to finally stash-bust this bit of fabric.

How does it compare?

RTW Version:  Paper Lace Trapeze Top.  This RTW version only has a silk contrast with the fashion fabric listed as polyamide, viscose, elastane and polyester.

Retail priced at $450.00 / Sale price $315.00

My 100% Silk Version:  $37.75

Happy Sewing!




4 comments:

  1. Do you think you'd wear it open? Color me lazy- I'd stitch it closed and be cool with it! I like that pattern. Very breezy- even with the neckline raised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that style. Looks comfy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never even noticed that view. It is super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...