Monday 15 December 2014

This Year's Biggest Sewing Challenge

Stash-busting 2014:  Little Velvet Dress

Fabric:             3 metres of cotton velvet and 0.5 metre of polyester lining

Zipper:             22" invisible zipper cut down to 16"

Pattern:            McCall's 5795

Bias Tape:        2" strip

Basting Tape:  44"


I don't know where to begin. First, I'm so thrilled that this is done. I can't believe it is done. 

This dress will go down as the most challenging project of 2014.  

Velvet proved to be an extremely challenging fabric to work with, but this dress is totally adorable and that makes it all worth it.  

The fabric has been in my stash for many many years. I can't remember where exactly I purchased it but I do know I picked it up in Toronto. It is a cotton velvet and I had enough yardage to cut out two dresses. This dress is a size eight and the second one currently on the sewing table is cut in a size five.  

Actually, everything used to make this dress was found in my stash with the exception of the invisible zipper.   

The pattern, McCall's 5795 is adorable and can be adapted into a special occasion or cute summer dress. It includes variations on sleeves and contrasting over-dresses. The pattern is for a fully lined dress but I chose to just line the bodice. And instead of a regular zipper I inserted an invisible zipper.  



I repurposed a belt that went with one of my own velvet skirts. It appears as a trim but I just put some snaps at the ends so that it can be worn as a belt.  


All that is left to do is finish the second one, give this one final "pressing" with the steamer and carefully fold this in tissue paper before I gift-wrap it.

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...