Wednesday 7 May 2014

New Housedress for Mama R

Stash busting 2014:  Style 4666

Fabric:  2 metres 

Zipper:  55 cm (22 inch) invisible zipper

This pattern has been part of Mama R's pattern stash since I was a wee little lass. It is cut so I'm sure that she had stitch this up back in the day. The pattern, Style 4666 (circa 1974), has a slightly lowered neckline, curved front darts, back invisible zipper and short sleeves with sleeve bands in contrasting fabric.  


I did have to alter the pattern for more ease in the mid-section. It worked but I could add a bit more ease. Something to note for next time. I could also have lowered the finished height of the dart. The lowered neckline, neck and sleeve bands are my favourite features of this dress. The neck band and facing remind me of the detail found in the Sybil Connolly dress I recently made. I'll admit that the more time I spend sewing patterns from the seventies the more in awe I am with the attention to detail that is found in what seems to be simple patterns.  



The yellow and blue print fabric has been in my stash for a few years. It is a 100% cotton and I picked it up while it was on sale with no specific project in mind. The blue contrasting fabric is another 100% cotton fabric that I picked up as a contrasting fabric for the Sybil Connolly dress. I can't believe that I was able to squeeze the band and facing pieces out of the left-over piece. I was just barely able to do this!


Mama R requested pockets of course. I just wish that I had enough contrasting blue fabric left to add to the pockets in some way. Even without the contrasting trim I'm pleased with the result. And more importantly, Mama R is please with her new housedress.   

The invisible zipper was also stash busted. I pressed the zipper coils open before I taped it to the dress with basting tape and sewed it in place. It makes a world of difference in the final result.

I'll try to snap a photo of Mama R in her new dress this week. She looks great in the yellow and blue floral print. Until then, happy sewing!  




2 comments:

  1. I love the 70s styles for cute shifts and sundresses. Mama R will be stylin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, recently I have been developing a greater appreciation for some seventies designs. I agree, they are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...