Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Bohemian Skirt

Stash busting 2014:  Chloe Skirt Vogue 1918

Fabric:   3.1 metre

Buttons:  9 buttons and one hook and eye

Pattern:  Vintage Vogue 1918


This skirt has been on my wish list for quite some time but I imagined that it would be in white denim with yellow top-stitching. The white denim that I had my eye on and was on sale was also short in yardage. Sew, I had to move on and make another decision.

This fabric was a second choice. I found it in the home decor department. I shouldn't have picked it up because it was a wee bit short in the width and I ended up having to cut another metre of fabric to fit all the pieces. Needless to say, there is a huge piece of fabric left-over and this is not the most economical project I've made. My scrap pile is growing again. The extra needed yardage was to fit the two back piece without having a diagonal seam.


The fabric has a fun colourful print that has a bohemian feel to it. It is 100% cotton with the multi-coloured pattern that made it easy to search for buttons. It has nine buttons down the centre back and I was able to stash-bust nine red buttons from Mama R's stash. Thread wasn't an issue to match either, I used some left-over brown thread for the sewing machine and navy thread for the serger. I added side pockets to this skirt borrowed from the Perry Ellis skirt pattern.


The front of the skirt is cut in one piece which worked well with showing off the print. The fullness is the skirt is found in the back pieces. There is a narrow waistband and centre back facings that have been top-stitched. The hem is a narrow 5/8" machine hem. Easy peasy with only four + one pattern pieces to work with. This pattern is  perfect for beginners. Now, all that is left to do is wait for spring to finally get here so I can wear my new skirt.      

Happy Sewing!  

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You will get a lot of wear out of a patterned skirt like this ~ great sewing ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith. I'm happy that I added the pockets, that will make it perfect for work.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...