Sunday 2 March 2014

In Sewing News Today...

I'm almost finished the Sybil Connolley dress. I have to tell you I almost did not finish this project. And I'm glad that I didn't quit. I am really pleased with how it is turning out. It is nothing glamourously Oscar worthy but I think I can work it with my new navy colour rubber boots and a denim jacket if spring ever gets here.   


I finally decided on a zipper. I had a regular zipper that matched the orange but I was reluctant about sewing it because of the fabric. I will admit to having some fear that the fabric might pucker. I'll also admit that I'm have been known to sew less than perfect lap zippers. Needless to say, the dress does not have a lap zipper. For a couple of weeks, I also considered a hand-pick zipper. I've never installed a hand-pick zipper and I have to say that they do look lovely on other peeps blogs. Maybe one day I'll try it.

I chose a less-than-perfect colour match and went with an invisible zipper. First, I had to sit down with a seam ripper and open up the centre back before I installed the red invisible zipper. Once the zipper was installed I was on a roll.  All I have to do now is sew in one more sleeve and finish the hems. 

I'm going to call it a night soon and finish it up tomorrow. Until then... 

Happy Sewing!  




5 comments:

  1. Wow, you used a red zipper? Daring! But then, my invisible zippers are...never all that invisible. :D Although now that I look at the picture again, that's not the solid (or textured, I should say) navy that I first interpreted the picture to be. Hahah maybe not such a daring match after all! Is that bottom part red or orange, or possibly coral? It's hard to tell on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did use a red zipper only because I couldn't find an orange invisible zipper. Luckily, it turned out fine.

      Delete
  2. NICE!!! Loving the color combo :)

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...