Wednesday 5 March 2014

Have You Gone to a Thimble Party?

Yeah, I said "thimble party." This is a term not widely used now-a-days. It was a term used to describe a gathering of ladies engaged in the activities of a Lenten Sewing Club. Lenten Sewing Club, now there's another phrase you don't commonly hear. These references were commonly used in the early part of the last century.  



Women would gather to sew for charities around the lent season. Thus the name Lenten Sewing Club. It is Ash Wednesday today and the start of Lent. God knows, I can't give up chocolate or coffee. What can I say? I'm flawed. And I would be cranky if I tried to give up coffee. It is a sad fact. Chocolate might be easier but it would just make me plain sad. So needless to say, I'm not giving up any material pleasures that I hold dear to my stomach. 

Instead, I'm going to give up some of my sewing time to sew for a charity this Lent. 

For each week of Lent I'm going to sew up a baby onsie and receiving blanket. I hope to have six by the time Easter comes around. I might not have a thimble party to attend where I will be held accountable but I believe I can manage to get these done. I'll have to start picking the fabric and cutting after work today.  

Until then, Happy Sewing!  




4 comments:

  1. I might do this too. I would need some fabric first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! It just might turn into a virtual thimble party!

      Delete
  2. Please post your progress. I think this sounds like such a lovely activity for the Lenten season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll post my progress. I didn't do so well today. I came home from work and ended up taking a two hour nap (it was a long day). Hopefully tomorrow I'll start gathering my fabric and cutting.

      Delete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...