Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Easy Peasy!

Stash-busting 2014: The Tablecloth

Fabric:     2 metres of 100% cotton sateen. 

Thread:   A bit of green thread that has been lingering in the thread stash for many moons. There is still some left on the spool.   

Sewing Goals Achieved with this project:   None, I guess I'm starting the year off slow.   

Equipment used for this project:  Janome sewing machine, scissors, iron, ironing board, and an universal sewing machine needle. 


At my local fabric store there is a whole section of "table cloth" fabrics. They are usually plasticly polyester type fabrics. Yup, they tend to be on the yucky side.  

Not this one, I made this tablecloth using 100% cotton sateen that I found at Mitchell Fabrics. It has been in my stash for almost a year. I actually picked this fabric up with the intention of making a shirt. It is super wide and labelled as sheet/bedding fabric. I thought the fabric and soft green colour was gorgeous. And that changed when a request came in for a tablecloth. I didn't have anything wide and long enough for a tablecloth without piecing it together so there went my gorgeous sateen fabric. It worked perfectly for the tablecloth.  

Super easy to whip up.  I clipped the selvage and ripped to create a straight cross length grain. The sewing machine was set up so that I wouldn't be sitting the whole time. Then I pressed and sewed up a narrow hem.  The other edges were selvage edges that I left alone.

Easy peasy! Somedays you gotta love easy projects.

Happy Sewing!


The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...