Sunday 24 November 2013

Shopping!

Marshall/Northwest Fabrics
{source}
Yesterday, I was like a kid in a candy store. A friend took me to Marshall/Northwest Fabrics here in the city (they also have locations in Alberta). I never heard about this place until Heather from Sewing on Pins and later a co-worker mentioned it but still it took this long to make it there. Lucky for me, my friend drove otherwise I would have been lost for sure. It is in the other end of town in unfamiliar territory but it is so worth the trip.

This place is incredible beyond belief.

They have a huge selection of knit fabrics that the other fabric stores in the city don't have in stock. And the prices. Oh my goodness! I couldn't believe the prices. Let's just say that I was well under the budget that I set for myself.

I didn't buy any knit fabric because there is enough in my stash to keep me busy for quite some time. I did pick up other items though.  


Like this gorgeous houndstooth that I would like to make into a Channel-like jacket. I picked up Vogue 8804 from Claire Shaeffer's Custom Couture Collection for this fabric. I will for sure make a muslin before I cut into this beauty. The fabric was a quarter of the price listed at the other fabric store in the city. Don't rush out there looking for this though. There wasn't much left on the bolt and I snagged the last bit of it. Hopefully, they will put more out so someone else can enjoy this fabric.  


This graphic print caught my eye right away. It is a 100% cotton and a perfect shirt weight. It is not a quilting cotton weight so it has a fairly nice drape. It could also make a cute dress. I have no pattern in mind for this, I just fell for it and in the cart it went. Hmmm, a shirt or a dress?  


GRRR, I picked up this grey and black denim weight stretch cotton in anticipation of Jungle January 2: Style Safari. That is all I have to say right now about this purchase.


"Yes, Virginia. Pigs do fly."

I know, I'm almost as shocked that I added pink fabric to the cart. Somedays, I don't know who I am! In all seriousness, this is a lightweight 100% wool that is absolutely divine to the touch. With that, and the encouragement of my shopping pal it remained in the cart. This gorgeous wool will be used for Vogue 1186, a vintage Teal Traina dress with bodice tucks.

I also picked up some silk organza, very reasonably priced, to underline these fabrics. Well it is official, with this fabric haul my 2013 stash-busting journey was an epic failure. But it was so worth it.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I would love to visit a store like this. Nice fabrics you purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric selections! Looks like a lot of fun ;)

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...