Thursday 15 August 2013

The Tim Gunn Project

I found this when I was doing an image search.  The
image is found at Sew Kate Read's 2012 Sewing
Challenge.   {Source}
In the beginning of the month, I did the Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Pieces look at my wardrobe to see what essential basics are missing. The plan is to make missing essentials using supplies found in my pattern and fabric stash. I came up with this list of things I want to make.
✄ Vogue 8904 (Basic Black Dress)
  Vintage Vogue 1985 (Day Dress)
  Butterick 5365 (White Shirt)
  Vogue 8333 (Blazer)
  Vogue 1325 (Dress Pants x 2)
  Vogue 1034 1325 (Jeans)
  McCall's 8246 (Sweatsuit Alternative)
  Advance 8436 (Sweatsuit Alternative)
First up in this sewing challenge, I'm going to make a pair of jeans. Not the traditional Levi's definition. I'm going to go with this second definition:
jean  (jn)
n.
1. A heavy, strong, twilled cotton, used in making uniforms and work clothes.
2. jeans Pants made of jean, denim, or another durable fabric.

No rivets or mimicking the classic American version. I'm going for a pair of pants made with a strong twilled cotton or denim if you like. Yes, my fabric choice is a deep red denim. I've been holding onto this fabric for quite some time. I know, Tim says, "in a dark wash" and I think he would give me this one since it is a dark red. Okay, maybe not, but I really want a pair of red denim pants sew I'm going for it. It's my birthday in a couple of days, let's just call this my birthday gift to myself.

The pattern that I plan to use is Vogue 1325. Originally, my plan was to use Vogue 1034 but after reading some of the reviews on Pattern Review I've changed my mind. I've decided to stick with a pattern that I know has worked in the past. Besides, the pattern does fall "straight from the widest part of my hip." I'm sure Tim would approve on that aspect.

There is no turning back now because I've cut the denim. I just need to change the thread colour on the serger, change the needle to a jeans appropriate needle, quick run to the fabric store for cotton red thread for the sewing machine and I'm ready to go.

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're going to be busy! Great plans too, I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...