Fabric Used: 2.9 metres of red denim (and pink cotton sateen for lining and facing pieces)
Pattern Used: Vogue 1325
Bias Tape Used: 30"
Pant Hook and Eye: 1 set
Zipper Used: 9" regular zipper
I've been holding onto this denim for a few years now. The plan has always been to make a pair of jeans. The stall has been the search for a suitable pattern. I opted for a pants pattern, Vogue 1325, that previously worked and now I have a pair of red jeans!
The threads were a recent 2013 addition to my sewing stash, everything else was stash-busted.
Changes that I made:
- I went up a size on the outer leg just below the lower edge of the pocket.
- And then I reversed that change when it just made the pant leg too wide.
- And then I narrowed it a smidge more.
- I lengthened the leg from my original adjustment. This change gave me more of a hemline to work with and options for the hem width.
My biggest challenge with these were the hem. I did a two inch machine stitched hem and folded the edge to hide the serged edge. At certain points where the inner and outer seams were found, I would be sewing through six thicknesses of denim. Needless to say, my machine did not like this process.
I overcame this stitching challenge by using the walking foot, a 2.6 stitch width and the jean-a-ma-jig.
Sew, there is the first project from my Tim Gunn 10 Essential pieces list. Well, I'm off to take a nap before I get into the birthday celebrating.