Monday 26 August 2013

Pants in the Papers

In this weekend's paper there was an article about pants by Associated Press Fashion writer Samantha Critchell. Timely, in the sense that I'm a pants sewing kick right now.


What caught my attention was a comment made by designer Nanette Lepore, "higher waistbands are on the way" (Critchell D13).

I would like to make a correction to this article.

Behold Vogue 1325 and Burda 7122 with their tastefully on-trend higher waistbands. I do like a higher waistband.

There is an important piece of advice within this article. It is about fit.

Sewists know that fit it can make or break any garment. It is much more than finding the magic size number or style to unlock the mystery of good fit. For me personally, discovering my pant fit was an epic quest to understanding my body shape and quirks. I have to admit that I did have some help along the way. Luckily, I found Fast Fit: Easy Pattern Alterations for Every Figure by Sandra Betzina. It is a treasure trove of useful advice. And many yards of fabric were sacrificed along the way.

I just have to edit one more thing. Lepore's comment "[f]ind your fit and a good tailor, and the kind words will come." My edit would be "find your fit, a good pattern and sew your way to the kind words that will come."

Happy Sewing!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...