Tuesday 12 February 2013

And back to the Dress: McCall's 9264

Stash Busting 2013:  Project # 9

Fabric Used:    2.7 metres 100% polyester (including lining).

Pattern Used:  McCall's 9264, McCall's NY Collection, circa 1998.

Zipper Used:   1 invisible zipper from stash

*****

Final fitting before finishing with a rolled hem.  

This dress was cut out last month. Left over silk was cut for the lining. I even traced out the dart marking before I realized my mistake.  










Can you spot my error?  

Yup, I was suppose to cut the bodice with the upper bodice centre front on the fold.  

Oops!  

Luckily, there was enough of the floral fabric to cut out a new bodice. There was not enough silk so I opted for lining fabric instead.  




Once the darts were remarked on the newly cut bodice front pieces it was back to work.  


One dart down! Off to press the dart down.  
Once the two lower darts have been sewn the lower centre seam bodice seam is sewn before tackling the upper bodice dart.  


















The upper dart in place... 


















... it is time to do it all over again with the lining fabric.  
All this work was worth it. I love the bodice detail.  















































































Well, the invisible zipper is finally sewn into place. There was about as much drama with the zipper as with the bodice front. No pictures but in my carelessness I ended up sewing a perfect invisible zipper before realizing that the front bodice was twisted. Oops! Luckily I didn't have to cut anymore fabric but I did have to dig out the seam ripper to unstitch on side of the zipper and untangle the dress bodice.

In the process of sewing this dress, I have nicknamed it the dress of a 1000 mistakes. It is almost done, just some hand-stitching left to do and the hem. I just wanted to take a break to show you how it looks with all my initial mistakes corrected.

It fits perfectly. I'm so thrilled that I was able to find a previously loved pattern in my current size.

With all the drama that I had endured, I can not hesitate to recommend this pattern if you are lucky enough to find it. This pattern is a true gem.

Happy Sewing!



2 comments:

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...