Tuesday 4 September 2012

Vogue 8805: The Conservative Work Dress

Vogue 8805 has to be the easiest dress that I've sewn in a long time.

There was nothing challenging about it, to the point that it was uneventful. Not once did I need my seam ripper. Now, where is the fun in that?

Basically, it took an afternoon to make. And you don't have to open the pattern instructions, it was that simple to figure out. This Vogue 8805 pattern is perfect for a beginner and the "very easy" rating was spot on.

But it doesn't mean that I didn't like some features of this dress. I like the sleeves built into the front and back yoke. It is my favourite feature of this pattern. And the pattern is simple and elegant and makes the perfect conservative work dress.

I made it in a light grey, light-weight wool with a small check pattern. I love the fabric but I will admit that it was not the best colour choice I have made for myself. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a bargain. The light grey is a lovely colour for Mama R who has a lighter complexion.

And it was suppose to be a surprise for Mama R. She used to have dresses just like this in her wardrobe (everything comes back in style). It was one of her favourite styles.


It didn't work out though. Mama R said that it was too snug around her mid-section.

And then she suggested that it might work for me. Wow, that suggest-ion was dead wrong. The dress is snug in my mid and rear section.

As you can see it was not a flattering look on me at all.

That said I would not toss out the pattern. I think I can work with this. Mama R and I both agree that the upper yoke and sleeve section is our favourite feature on this dress. And the darts are well placed.

Sew, I'm thinking that the mid-section and lower section of the dress could be cut as one piece since Mama R is even shorter than I am and we don't need the horizontal seams to draw attention to that fact. And then I would give the lower dress section an A-line cut.

Mama R also didn't like the fact that there was no back zipper, another change that I'll have to incorporate into the re-design. And I know I'm going to have to figure out some pockets for the next version.

Anyway, lessons were learned and now it is back to the drawing board for this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...