Friday, 4 May 2012

Butterick 5679

Close, but not perfect.  

This is Butterick 5679, Misses' top.  The pattern envelope description reads, 
Slightly fitted through bust stitched hem.  A, B: Self-faced collar.  C: Loose-fitting, shaped front panel with pocket, raw edge finish.  
There are some things that I love about it and then there are some issues.

Where to begin?

Oh yea, the neckline. What the heck is going on here!  

I sewed this top using my knit stitch on my Janome but it wasn't falling flat. What a mess. Over at Pattern Review others related issues with the neckline too.

One of the suggestions someone made that worked for them was taking in the seams at the neckline 3/8" and using stabilizer tape around the neckline.

I'm thinking maybe a shoulder dart too could help.

Yes, I am thinking about making another one.

I won't agree with the description that View C is a loose-fitting top.  I wasn't disappointed with the fit, but I wouldn't call it loose-fitting.

The length is perfect for me. I know, isn't that crazy? When was the last time I made something that I was pleased with the length. Yea, never!

Not so crazy about the raw edges.  I did sew a hem on the upper edge of the pocket. The lower edge of the top I used my serger and left it. On the next one I will tweak the pattern panel and pocket pieces to have a hem finish.

Talking about the pattern's panel and pocket feature, love it.  It is the reason I want to give this pattern another whirl.


2 comments:

  1. The seams on this dress look really interesting. I hope you can resolve the neckline issue, because otherwise this looks like a really cool top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to steam it and it ended up settling down a bit but I will for sure use some of the tips on Pattern Review from others for the next one.

      Delete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...