Tuesday 3 April 2012

1957 Fashion Trends


I'm working on my dress for the Pattern Review The Vintage Contest. And I'm quite excited about this contest, I chose a Vogue pattern from 1957. I can't find any mention of it on the web or pattern wiki. It is an original printed and perforated pattern with fragile tears on the pattern envelope and the most stunning illustration. I really would love to frame this envelope. The pattern pieces are cut but in excellent condition. 

I'm cutting out the muslin right now and I'm just trying to decide on the fabric. That is where the research is coming in.  

Colour:  
Orange, yellow, brilliant blues and emerald green were the colors most favored by designers. Brown, from caramel to charcoal-brown, vied with black as the smartest daytime color. The vivid red coat and suit continued in popularity, with the electric blue costume rising in importance (Paperpast Yearbook).
I would like to make a smart looking dress in black. I have a beautiful textured black silk fabric sitting in my stash, but black does not photograph well. And I do have that fun orange linen but I was saving that for the bow dress. So Sew, I'm thinking about this blue crepe or maybe a caramel brown cotton, or a navy blue cotton. Hmmm, I'm going to have to think about this one.


I'll leave you with this while I go off to think about this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...