Monday 26 March 2012

Vogue 8791 - Muslin = Epic Fail

When will I get it though my thick skull that I'm not a skinny six foot Vogue model and that I should make a muslin before trying a new pattern?

I'm not quite sure that I have an answer to this question beside that today was not the day.

After blogging that I could use some tops in my wardrobe I cut out Vogue 8791.

Yes, I broke the cardinal rule about sewing. I cut it out in my fabric before I sewed a muslin. Let's just say that it turned out to be a disaster.

I don't even want to try to save this top. There are so many things wrong with it. The length and the above waist seam is actually a below waist seam. And there is a whole baggy back bodice thing going on. Never mind the not enough room below the waistline for my overly generous booty. What was I thinking?

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

I just have to remember that Chinese proverb, mistakes occur through haste, never through doing a thing leisurely. That and the fact that I'm not a six-foot skinny Vogue model.



7 comments:

  1. Well, don't feel bad. I did 4 muslins for a top. 4. I am not a six foot skinny Vogue model either, and 4 muslins reminded me of that :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!!! Not a six foot Vogue model!!! Who have I been following....guess you are now in the same boat as the rest of us. Every now and again we need this little kick up the butt to remind us that we are indeed human, and normal....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I don't generally make muslins either and have certainly had a few epic fails of my own. Looking at this pattern, I don't think Vogue was fair with their drawings (big surprise!). The pink one appears to have a very low "above waist" seam but the one on the model looks normal. I think a lot of people are going to have problems with this one.

    I'm sure your next project will go much better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can empathise. The style looks like it should be pretty forgiving. What a bad surprise to find out that it is not! I was considering this top, but I am in no mood to make muslins for casual tops, when I can just run up a few knit tops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I'm sorry to hear this didn't work out. I've had a few wadders myself lately. Hopefully whatever is in the air that's causing this will clear out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I've been looking at it lately and can't decide if I want to try to save it by cutting out a wider lower back or just try to recycle the fabric that I can harvest. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this pattern. Looking at the line drawings, I'm convinced it was clipped in the back for photos - no way does it look like the same fit! I'm planning to make it, but I will keep in mind your experience and alter the pieces. I'm sorry you had trouble with yours - I agree, it is not like the photo!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...