Tuesday 6 March 2012

Now for something completely different...

Okay, the title might be a little misleading. I was busy sewing another skirt.

Are you sitting down?  It wasn't Vogue 2885. I know, hard to believe!

It is one of the new Burda Style skirt patterns in my stash, Burda Style 7283. It is version B that I chose to make with a slight adjustment. I decided to lower that slit action that is going on in the front.

The fabric is a soft corduroy, the fabric of Kings. Actually, it is more of a pincord. It has a narrow wale and is as soft as velvet. The fabric is a blend and does have some rayon found in it. And despite my apprehension towards rayon, I couldn't resist.

The skirt has a zipper in the centre back. I inserted an invisible zipper that I was quite pleased with. I was a bit worried from straying away from the roller foot when it came to sewing close the centre back seam. Happily there was no need to worry.

Back to the zipper... I couldn't find a 25 cm zipper in the colour that I wanted in my stash. And I really didn't want to run out and pick up another zipper. Sew I improvised.

I picked a brown zipper from my stash that I thought was a close-enough colour and went to work adjusting it to the size I needed.

Everything after that was basically straight forward. I did however decide to leave the mock pocket flaps off. I typically wear my tops/sweaters out and rarely tucked in, and I just wanted to avoid the bulk.


Pattern Description:
High waisted flared skirt has front slit, centre back zipper, and mock pocket flaps.

Pattern Sizing:
The pattern includes sizes 8-20. I made a size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I would say so. Except I did leave off the faux pocket flap.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were fine, I didn't have any difficulty with them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the high waist and the flared skirt. I dislike the fact that I've gained weight and the skirt is a wee bit snug and it looks like some quality time on the treadmill might be in my near future. Right now, I'm not feeling that it is the most flattering design for my current figure.

Fabric Used:
Pincord a cotton and rayon blend.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I lowered the slit on the skirt, adjusted (let out) the width on the front facing (centre front), and shortened the hemline. I also chose to leave the mock pocket flaps off.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would absolutely recommend the pattern. I'm not 100% sure if I would like to sew it again anytime soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...