Sunday 21 August 2011

Another Dress for Mama R...

McCall's 9007, circa 1997, has been in my pattern stash... well, since 1997. I guess I'm a little behind in my sewing.

This would be a perfect dress for the stretch cotton print fabric picked up at Fabricland recently. After sewing a couple of garments in black I felt the need to interact with some colour.  












I thought that McCall's 9007 would be a nice pattern for Mama R and chose View D (the red dress on the envelope). I chose this style because has a relaxed neck opening at the front.


It wasn't relaxed enough and tweaking was required. I shouldn't be surprised. I think she sends me back to the cutting board just to toy with me.

With the V-neck cut away I'll discard the front and back facings and make some bias-tape to finish the neckline.

Other changes to the pattern were simple, three-quarter length sleeves instead of the full length and some additional ease to the side and front seams.

My favourite part of the dress has to be the invisible zipper. Ever since I added a invisible zipper foot to my sewing machine accessories zippers have to be my favourite sewing task to accomplish. Who knew that's all it would take?

Back View
Front View
See how nice the invisible zipper looks. And no basting, cutting zipper application time down significantly. Luv it!

It is almost done.
I just have to cut some bias strips and iron them through the bias tape maker to finish off the neckline. Then some pressing, hemming and Voila!  Mama R has a new dress.

But I think I'll leave that till the morning.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Graca! I am enjoying your blog. Is Mama R your mother or your mother-in-law or an aunt? It is so nice you sew for her also!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    Mama R is my Mom. I like sewing for her because she is always appreciative and sometimes rewards me with the world's best rice pudding spiked with amaretto! She's the one who gave me the sewing bug, I used to love watching her sew clothes when I was a kid. Yeah, she's a pretty awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...